Houston Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for 2021 Murder in Independence Heights

Houston Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for 2021 Murder in Independence Heights
Andra Foster

A Houston man, Andra Foster, was sentenced to life in prison on Thursday after being convicted of the murder of 28-year-old Guadalupe Martinez in Independence Heights in 2021. Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg announced the verdict, emphasizing the impact on the victim’s family and the community.

Foster, 46, was found guilty of shooting Martinez near a convenience store in the 8400 block of North Main around 2 p.m. on January 25, 2021. Witnesses reported Foster, dressed in blue overalls and a yellow shirt, waving a pistol as he walked down the street from his mother’s home.

Approaching Martinez, who was in a stopped car with a passenger, Foster shouted and pointed the gun at them. After the passenger opened his door to escape, Foster fired at least once, fatally hitting Martinez in the side.

Foster then chased the passenger into a convenience store, brandishing the firearm on surveillance video. Paramedics from the Houston Fire Department faced delays in attending to Martinez due to Foster’s continued presence in the area.

Houston Police Department officers arrived at the scene and found Foster in his mother’s front yard. When ordered to drop his gun, Foster initiated a shootout with the officers. Despite being hit at least once, Foster refused to surrender, firing at officers as they pursued him.

Eventually, a police officer shot Foster in the arm, leading him to drop his weapon. Foster was taken into custody, survived his wounds, and testified during the trial that he would not have relinquished his gun without being shot.

The officer-involved shooting underwent thorough investigation by the HPD Special Investigations Unit, the Internal Affairs Division, and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office. The HPD officer involved was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Assistant District Attorneys Heather Axline and Tyler Arner prosecuted the four-day trial. State District Judge Robert Johnson handed down the maximum sentence of life in prison, with Foster required to serve at least 30 years before being eligible for parole.