Harris County DA Ogg Reinvests $1M Seized Assets in Community Safety

Harris County DA Ogg Reinvests $1M Seized Assets in Community Safety

Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg has announced the reinvestment of over $1 million from seized criminal assets into community crime prevention programs in 2023. This marks the second-largest annual reinvestment since she took office in 2017.

The funds, derived from assets seized from individuals involved in criminal activities such as drug and human trafficking, street racing, and money laundering, are aimed at disrupting the cycle of crime for profit. The Harris County District Attorney’s Office (HCDAO) believes that by reinvesting in community-building and crime-prevention initiatives, they can intervene in high-risk areas before crime takes hold.

In 2023, the HCDAO’s Asset Forfeiture Division handled approximately 1,200 cases, securing judgments totaling over $4.8 million for law enforcement purposes and crime-prevention programs. About 70% of the seized funds are directed to law enforcement agencies, while the District Attorney’s Office receives the remaining 30%.

Of the funds received by the District Attorney’s Office, $1,043,266 was donated in 2023 to local crime prevention and victim assistance programs. Beneficiaries include the Harris County Domestic Violence Coordinating Council, the TXFNE Center of Forensic Excellence, the Girl Scouts of San Jacinto Success to Significance outreach program, and the Albert Schweitzer Scholarship Program, which supports women after incarceration.

Dr. Andrea Link, Executive Director of the Albert Schweitzer Fellowship of Houston Galveston, expressed gratitude for the grant, emphasizing its potential to help women turn their lives around after incarceration. Other recipients of the funds include organizations such as American Youthworks, the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, Chester Street Foundation, Hope for Families Inc., Minaret Foundation, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, and The Council on Recovery.

District Attorney Kim Ogg stated, “We are sending criminals a strong message that we do not tolerate crime for profit and that we are invested in the long-term health and safety of our communities.”